A ‘vibrant’ ground floor public gallery and café space with two main entrances on Cable and Wakefield streets adds to the facility. Situated just minutes from the waterfront precinct and across the road from Te Papa National Museum and Toi Art National Art Gallery, the WCEC is within easy walking distance of key transport links, accommodation, entertainment and recreation options.
The WCEC kick starts Wellington’s latest round of infrastructure investment which includes upgrades on the Wellington Town Hall and St James Theatre, along with the proposed $6.4 billion Let’s Get Wellington Moving transport investment. WellingtonNZ regional development general manager David Perks says the WCEC - rated a five Greenstar building and due for completion in 2022 - will bring a new level of convention excellence to the Capital.
• Two level - 10,000sqm of dedicated Convention & Exhibition Space
• Ground floor grand entrance with vibrant public gallery, cafes and retail
• Large plenary spaces including a 1700 theatre-style capacity hall
• 2500sqm exhibition floor with direct drive in access from dockway
• 1400 banquet capacity with adjacent pre-dinner cocktail space overlooking harbour and city
• 5 Greenstar build, full accessibility, sustainable design
Wellington steps up impressively
The new Wellington Convention and Exhibition Centre (WCEC) will have more than 10,000 sqm of purpose-built exhibition area and conference space for up to 1700 people, a 2500 sqm exhibition floor, two large, flexible plenary halls and meeting rooms, and a gala dinner capacity of 1400 people.