NZEA chair Andrea Scotland says the awards has seen year upon year growth creating an intensely competitive forum nationally that recognises and promotes excellence within the events sector.
'The purpose of the NZEA Event Awards is to celebrate the boundaries pushed, the new benchmarks set and innovations we can share. We have world-class events and organisers in New Zealand, this is proven in the incredibly high calibre of applications we receive yearly and the feedback from our independent panel of judges.
'Last year, the introduction of new categories and an exceptionally high standard of entries made the work of judges difficult. With submissions covering the country from Cape Reinga to Bluff, the consistent number of applications illustrate that these awards are truly an opportunity for events of all types and sizes, their organisers and organisations, from all aspects of the industry, to be held up as the ‘best of the best’.'
The 2018 awards introduces eight new categories to further celebrate and recognise New Zealand’s world class events industry. Four of these new categories further refine previous categories in response to industry feedback and changes. The other three new categories have been created to capture the wider spectrum of the events industry and give every organisation involved in this sector the chance to shine.
Last year’s award winners included Waitangi Tuwharetoa Ki Pukawa Festival 2017; Pop-Globe Auckland; WOMAD New Zealand 2017; the 2017 World Shearing and Woolhandling Championships; Pinot Noir New Zealand 2017; ILT Stadium Southland; Flight Centre Foundation Halberg Watersports Programme; ASB for Auckland Lantern Festival; and Barfoot & Thompson for World Masters Games 2017.
The 2018 NZEA Event Awards welcomes entries for events that took place (either started or concluded) between 1 April 2017 and 31 July 2018 inclusive (16 months).
The 2018-19 NZEA Awards campaign is supported by ATEED as the Host City Partner and ATEED, NZICC, Fresh Info, Eventfinda, and Sidekicker as Category Sponsors.
2018 Awards Categories:
Individual Awards (by nomination)
- Best Emerging Event Professional 2018 – Sponsored by NZICC
- Best Event Professional 2018 – Sponsored by ATEED
- Best Event Sponsorship Professional 2018
- Best Arts or Cultural Event 2018 (NEW for 2018) – Sponsored by Fresh Info
- Best Business Event 2018 (NEW for 2018) – Sponsored by NZICC
- Best Corporate Social Responsibility or Not-for-Profit Event 2018 – Sponsored by Sidekicker
- Best Sport Event 2018 (NEW for 2018) – Sponsored by Fresh Info
- Best Sustainable Event 2018 (NEW for 2018) – Sponsored by ATEED
- Best Community Event 2018 - – Sponsored by Sidekicker
- Best Regional Event 2018 – Sponsored by Fresh Info
- Best National Event 2018 – Sponsored by Eventfinda
- Best International Event 2018 – Sponsored by Eventfinda
- Best Event Sponsorship 2018 (NEW for 2018)
- Best Local Government Event 2018 (NEW for 2018) – Sponsored by Eventfinda
- Best Supplier 2018
- Best Innovative Event Product or Service 2018 (NEW for 2018) – Sponsored by NZICC
- Best Venue 2018 (NEW for 2018) – Sponsored by Sidekicker
By Public Vote
- New Zealand’s Favourite Event 2018